The Lake of Dreams | Review

This is the story of a woman's homecoming, the discovery of a family secret and a family's legacy.

After traveling and working abroad for a few years, Lucy returns home to that things have changed. Her mother has a boyfriend, her brother has taken up working with disagreeable uncle Art, and her high school sweetheart has a child. On top of all the changes, her father's death, nearly a decade ago, haunts Lucy while she visits her childhood home. 

Late one night, restless, Lucy discovers a locked window seat with a collection of objects that first appear to be random objects, but soon reveal their ties to a portion of the family tree many knew nothing about.

This novel deals with a myriad issues including women's rights, finding one's self, love, and family, which make it accessible to a range of readers. I found the story-line a little slow at times, but overall I was eager to continue reading in order to put the pieces together in the hopes of resolution, which, for the most part, is what I was given.
____________________________________________________

I give this book a rating of 8/10 and here’s why:
Text: The imagery in this book is decent. I found it easy to visualize what the characters saw, the beauty and calmness of the untouched land. It was reminiscent, for me, of going to my hometown in Muskoka.
Dialogue: Speech in this book was average, for the most part believable, but nothing extraordinary.
Plot: While sometimes slow-moving, I enjoyed the forward momentum of the plot. Edwards ties the protagonist's family discoveries to her personal development very well.
Characters: Well-developed and realistic, Edwards' characters were easy to relate to. I found myself rooting for Lucy and feeling shock and heartache alongside her.

No comments:

Post a Comment