Vegetable Garden - watch it grow!

After my first year of complete experimentation with a garden, I am back at it only this time it's expanded! I'm still learning, though. Let me know if you have any tips!

May 23, 2011
Front row (closest)  (left to right): jalapeno, banana peppers, radish, carrots, sweet yellow and red peppers.
Middle (L-R): mixed greens, snap peas (to grow up the cage), cucumber, zucchini, and chives.
Back: (L-R): cilantro, tomatoes x 3 (beefsteak, cherry, and grape)

I bought many of my plants this year, rather than last year when I mostly bought seeds. This is mainly due to the fact that many of my seeds claimed to be expired. I have read that the seeds may still grow, but that the germination rate is greatly decreased. I am hoping for lots of veggies, so I didn't want to take my chances on many old seeds! Here are some close-ups.

Row of peppers - jalapeno and banana peppers are at the front


Row of tomato plants


Mixed greens

June 29

Front row (closest)  (left to right): jalapeno, banana peppers, radish, carrots, sweet yellow and red peppers.
Middle (L-R): mixed greens, snap peas (to grow up the cage), cucumber, zucchini, and chives.
Back: (L-R): cilantro, tomatoes x 3 (beefsteak, cherry, and grape)


 Tomatoes are coming along


Mixed greens growing wild - check out what I like to call my lettuce tree (bottom left)


Hello banana pepper


Radishes growing like crazy


Picked radishes
I should have learned, from last year, to plant radishes intermittently to avoid having an influx. Looking for a way to use up radishes? Try my radish salad!


July 20
Snap Peas
Sweet and tasty - they're great raw or slightly cooked. I used them in Spicy Thai Pasta.

August 5
Big bunch of carrots, handful of mini tomatoes, two cucumbers and a yellow hot banana pepper (Sung to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas). The carrots were used for my carrot, cucumber and feta slaw - a light summer salad.

August 23
 Grape and cherry tomatoes, jalapenos and not-quite-yellow bell peppers. I used the peppers and tomatoes for pan-roasted chicken and black bean ragu, which was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment