Jambalaya Mish-Mash


This is a mish-mash of ingredients that I'm labeling jambalaya, though I've put my own spin on it. I usually include two diced spicy sausages, but didn't have any on hand. I do the majority of my cooking this way; I use whatever I have.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
6 chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces when raw
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, diced
about 2 tbsp bacon, cooked and diced (I used store bought bacon bits, but have used real before.)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups quinoa, uncooked
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Tobasco sauce
cayenne to taste (optional)

Instructions
1. Heat oil in large pot over med-high heat. Saute chicken (and spicy sausage if you have it) until browned, about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in onion, pepper, celery, bacon bits and garlic. Season with onion powder and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.

3. Add quinoa, then stir in stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12-18 minutes (until quinoa looks translucent). Remove from heat, let sit covered for 5-10 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.

4. Stir in Worcestershire and hot sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment