Baked Eggs with Herbs



Eggs are marvelous, so versatile! I was looking for a new way to make eggs since Mike and I tend to have them every weekend and I happened upon this recipe. These are great for toast-dipping! (Makes 4 egg cups)

Ingredients
4 eggs
4 tbsp cheese, grated (I used aged white cheddar)
4 tbsp milk OR half and half (half and half makes for a thicker consistency, I used Almond Milk as that's all I had an they turned out beautifully)
2 tbsp butter
fresh ground pepper to taste
assorted fresh herbs if you've got them - I used about 4 basil leaves, about a tsp of dill, about a tsp of parsley
OTHERWISE use the following dried herbs or a combination of your favourite herbs:
1/2 tsp parsley
dash thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp dill

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Place 4 ramekins into a baking pan. Pour hot water into baking pan around the, creating a hot water bath. (Pouring cold or room temperature water into the pan will make the cooking time longer. I found this out the hard way the first time I made them. It also means the eggs cook less evenly. I strongly suggest boiling some water in the kettle for the hot water bath.)

2. Divide butter and herbs among ramekins and place in oven for a couple of minutes, until butter has melted.

3. Crack an egg into each ramekin. Sprinkle with pepper. Top each egg with 1 tbsp of milk and 1 tbsp of cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until eggs reach desired consistency. I cooked mine for about 14 minutes and the yolk was still a bit runny.



*Special thanks goes to Amelia for the fresh herbs.
*Recipe credit to: http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggrecipes/r/bl40323r.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment