Books on my Nightstand























Yes, I usually have a few books on the go. I move between them, reading each book either when I'm in the mood for it or when they're borrowed from the library and I'm on a timeline. Thanks to family, friends and the library for all the loans!






LEFT Neglected by Lisa Genova

By the same author who wrote Still Alice, Left Neglected is a new novel with a similar feel. It tells the story of a working mom, trying to have it all, and her struggle to recover from a car accident that's left her unable to go back to the life she knew. From the Sarah Nickerson's perspective, we learn about the neurological syndrome called Left Neglect, aptly named as it is when the brain does not recognize the left side of the body (caused by damage to the right hemisphere of the brain).

It's a decent read, though I found not as engaging as her other novel, where I felt I was looking through the eyes of the antagonist.

I appreciate the way Genova studies what she writes about and portrays things with as much truth as an "outsider" can. While her writing itself and style are not among my favourites, it's a quick and easy read that made me contemplate my life a little.

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings
You may have seen the movie previews for this story, featuring George Clooney. Yep, that's him on the cover. My Nana loaned me the book and I quite enjoyed it. It was easy to read, quite conversational really. In the first couple of pages we meet a dad and his 10-year-old daughter who are coping with the unpredictability of the mom who has been in a coma for 20-something days. The father's not close to either of his two daughters (the other a teenager). In light of his wife's current condition, he takes on an active role of father while struggling to make a decision about whether or not he should sell his inherited land in Hawaii.

It's a family saga and comedy mishmashed together. The plot moves a bit slowly, but once a couple of chapters in, I wanted to read on and enjoy, from the father's perspective, getting to know the children and seeing relationships develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment