Caramel Corn


Do-it-yourself caramel corn, an excellent drive-in movie theatre treat! I forgot to take my own photo, so I borrowed one that looks about the same. Next time, I think I'll try adding peanuts.

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
sprinkle of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
about 12 cups of popped corn (about 1/2 cup kernels)

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 F.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in corn syrup, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Once boiling, allow to boil for 5 minutes without stirring.

Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla (it will bubble like crazy at this point). Once combined, pour over popped corn; mix well.

Spread coated corn into a large cake pan(s); bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Allow popcorn to cool, then serve. It can be stored in an air-tight container for up to about 10 days, though I'd be surprised if it lasted that long; mine was gone in a few days!



Recipe credit: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2005/05/i_did_it_i_fina.html

No comments:

Post a Comment