Canada Day Red Velvet Cupcakes





As requested by Mike, Canada Day red velvet cupcakes with my favourite cream cheese icing. I altered the recipe when I realized I didn't have enough vegetable oil - apple sauce to the rescue! 

Ingredients
Cupcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter milk OR 1 cup milk with 1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tbsp red food colouring
red maple leaf shaped sprinkles for decoration (I found them at Bulk Barn)

Cream Cheese Icing
1 pound (OR 2 8 oz pkgs) cream cheese, softened (I use light, doesn't seem to make a difference except make me feel a tiny bit better.)
2 sticks OR 1 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups icing sugar
(I made my own "red" icing using red food colouring and cocoa powder, but was rather unsuccessful as you can see in the photo, it's rather pinkish. Next time I will just buy pre-made and save myself the hassle. I used a Ziploc bag to pipe the cupcakes, but really need to invest in some proper icing bags as they're a bit sloppy! They sure were delicious, though!)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place paper liners in 2 12-cup muffin tins.

Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or stand mixer, combine butter milk, vinegar, vanilla extract, apple sauce, vegetable oil, eggs and food colouring. Blend until until smooth and combined.

Add the dry mixture to the wet gradually, while mixing together until the two are combined and smooth.

Divide batter evenly among cupcake tins, about 2/3 filled. (I use an ice cream scoop. Each cupcake is about 2 scoops.)

Bake for 20-25 minutes. If your oven is a bit older, I suggest baking the cupcakes for 10 minutes, turning them around then baking for an additional 10 to ensure even cooking.

Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool before icing.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add icing sugar and on low speed, beat until combined. Increase speed to high and mix until light and fluffy.

Decorate as you please! Keep cupcakes refrigerated until serving.


 
*Original recipe (mine was slightly altered) credit to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment