Sugar Cookies

My friend, Mary, shared this recipe with me. Above is a photo of the decorating we did together, which is the best part if you ask me. Get creative, use whatever you'd like! We used icing (divided into 3 parts, added red food colouring to one and green to another), a variety of coloured sprinkles and other shaped decorations as well as pre-made coloured icing in small convenient tubes for detail work (see gingerbread peoples' faces).

Ingredients
Cookies
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
edible decorations of your choice (I used sprinkles, edible silver balls and more)

Butter Cream Frosting
1/4 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
dash of vanilla (optional)

Directions
Cookies
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Mix all ingredients together. I usually end up using my hands at the end to make a big ball. Once the dough is in one big ball, use a rolling pin to flatten. Using cookie cutters of your choice, cut out shapes and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Allow cookies to cool completely before icing and decorating.

Butter Cream Frosting
Cream together butter and sugar. Add milk, a little at a time, until ideal consistency is reached. if it's too runny, add more sugar; alternately, add more milk to thin out if necessary.

Decorate however you would like, that's the fun part!


*Major credit goes to my friend, Mary the master decorator, who shared these recipes with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment